Monday, November 20, 2006

Navigating the Waters of What Really Matters, 1

The "Navigating" Series is a lesson series that I have put together for our church. Therefore, it is in outline form with some repetition in the body of the message. That is the reason it does not read like my normal articles.

Part 1

Ecclesiastes 1:13 And I gave my heart to seek and search out by wisdom concerning all things that are done under heaven: this sore travail hath God given to the sons of man to be exercised therewith. 14 I have seen all the works that are done under the sun; and, behold, all is vanity and vexation of spirit. 15 That which is crooked cannot be made straight: and that which is wanting cannot be numbered. 16 I communed with mine own heart, saying, Lo, I am come to great estate, and have gotten more wisdom than all they that have been before me in Jerusalem: yea, my heart had great experience of wisdom and knowledge. 17 And I gave my heart to know wisdom, and to know madness and folly: I perceived that this also is vexation of spirit. 18 For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow.

Psalms 27:4 One thing have I desired of the LORD, that will I seek after; that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the LORD, and to inquire in his temple.

Two Directions

Solomon sought out the wisdom of this world. He sought satisfaction in worldly and sensual pleasure. It left him empty and seemingly bitter…

Eccl 1:14 I have seen all the works that are done under the sun; and, behold, all is vanity and vexation of spirit.

David sought the things of God…

Ps 27:4 One thing have I desired of the LORD, that will I seek after; that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the LORD, and to inquire in his temple.

Psalms 107:8 Oh that men would praise the LORD for his goodness, and for his wonderful works to the children of men! 9 For he satisfieth the longing soul, and filleth the hungry soul with goodness.

Siren Song

In Greek mythology, the Sirens were nymphs that lived on an island call Sirenum Scopuli. They would sing their spellbinding song and lure the passing sailors into the rocks where their ships would be destroyed and they would be devoured.

Odysseus escaped the Sirens by having all his sailors plug their ears with beeswax and tie him to the mast. He was curious as to what the Sirens sounded like. When he heard their beautiful song, he ordered the sailors to untie him but they ignored him. When they had passed out of earshot, Odysseus stopped thrashing about and calmed down, and was released (Odyssey XII, 39).

This Worlds Song

This worlds siren song is calling to men and women, young and old…the sounds of it are beautiful…yet the end of it are destruction and ship wreck.

It lures the unsuspecting soul into its rocks of heart ache, addiction and destruction.

It also calls us to except alternative thought processes… It is calling us to be tolerant of sin and false doctrine….

The Remedy

We must turn a deaf ear toward the things of this world and turn an open heart toward the things of God.

Toward the things THAT REALLY MATTER…

There are absolutes in this life…Truth is Truth no matter what the world says or even when it is ignored or not believed...it is still truth!

Finding Our Way

In the old days a sailor would find his way by using the things that he knew did not change…

He would gauge his position on the ocean by the Sun the Moon and the Stars. Using a sextant and a chart he could determine his latitude and therefore find his way through the vast oceans.

We today must navigate the waters of this world by the things that we know do not change…

1. We know that that God does not change…

Heb 13:8 Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

James 1:17 Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning.

2. We know that the Word of God will not pass away

Mark 13:31 Heaven and earth shall pass away: but my words shall not pass away.

Psalms 119:89 For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven.

Using the two immutable facts we can navigate the perilous waters of life and discern what really matters…

WHAT REALLY MATTERS?

Who God is Really Does Matter…

1. God is One

Deut 6:4

4 Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD:

Isa 44:6

6 Thus saith the LORD the King of Israel, and his redeemer the LORD of hosts; I am the first, and I am the last; and beside me there is no God.

Isa 45:6

6 That they may know from the rising of the sun, and from the west, that there is none beside me. I am the LORD, and there is none else.

Hosea 13:4

4 Yet I am the LORD thy God from the land of Egypt, and thou shalt know no god but me: for there is no saviour beside me.

2. Jesus is God

Isa 9:6-7

6 For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.

7 Of the increase of his government and peace there shall be no end, upon the throne of David, and upon his kingdom, to order it, and to establish it with judgment and with justice from henceforth even for ever. The zeal of the LORD of hosts will perform this.

Col 2:9-10

9 For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.

10 And ye are complete in him, which is the head of all principality and power:

3. God is Holy

Ps 99:9

9 Exalt the LORD our God, and worship at his holy hill; for the LORD our God is holy.

Exod 15:11

11 Who is like unto thee, O LORD, among the gods? who is like thee, glorious in holiness, fearful in praises, doing wonders?

Ps 30:4

4 Sing unto the LORD, O ye saints of his, and give thanks at the remembrance of his holiness.

Who God is Really Does Matters!

Video Blog