Monday, November 20, 2006

My Education

I am a graduate of Jackson College of Ministries. Some may say that Bible College has little value, however, I disagree emphatically. I would not trade the three years that I spent there.

The classes were great, the spiritual development exponential and the friendships invaluable. Yet the Bible College experience was not my greatest source of education.

I have furthered my education through seminars, community colleges, and universities.
These institutions have expanded my horizons and opened my eyes to many truths and also to many misconceptions, yet these have not given me the education needed to be successful in the work of God.

My greatest source of education has been at the feet of great men.

When Jehoshaphat was going into battle he understood the necessity of consulting with a prophet that could hear the voice of God. He asked the question in II Kings 3:11-12 “Is there not here a prophet of the Lord?” The answer that he received was this; “Here is Elisha the son of Shaphat, which poured water on the hands of Elijah.

Elisha did not have a long list of credentials. The only testimony of Elisha’s education was that he served a great man.

In my ministry some may ask “What are your credentials that you would be chosen to pastor or to lead anyone?” My answer is that I had the opportunity to pour water on the hands of great men.

The investment that has been made in my life can not be measured in degrees, or valued in monetary terms.

In my life I have had the opportunity to sit at the feet of many great men.

First of all, as I had mentioned, I attended Bible College. It was not the classes or the services that had the most profound effect on my life though they were valuable and life changing in many ways. Yet, it was Rev. J. Michael Seal, my Dean of Theology, which took the time to pour himself into me.

I was reminded of his valuable contribution to my life when I had the privilege of having him come to my church and preach. He blessed the church so much with his profound yet simple way of communicating. We sat hour upon hour talking about God and what He has done and what He can do. As we spoke, my mind went back to those days long ago when my friend and I would sit in Brother Seal’s living room asking questions and listening to his insight for hours on end. The treasure I found was beyond comprehension.

For six years of my ministry I spent at a home for abused and neglected children. I served a man of great compassion and great leadership. Rev. Stephen M. Drury taught me compassion for those who could not return your investment.

Through his example of love and compassion I learned that eternal investments were more profitable than those investments that can be measured immediately. Also, his leadership and administrative ability has few equals.

His greatest gift to me was trust. He put his trust in me as a very young man. He placed the care and administration of Tupelo Children’s Mansion into the hands of a twenty-four-year-old. His trust challenged me to rise to new heights and to stretch my potential beyond my abilities.

The next six years of my ministry I spent in a revival church. I had the opportunity to serve one of the greatest men that I know.

Rev. D. G. Hargrove taught me that if I will allow God to flow through my “open hand,” He will use me as a conduit for blessing and power. Through his example of love, compassion and wisdom I glimpsed a true pastor’s heart.

His generosity is unmatched. Through him I learned invaluable nuggets of wisdom such as “do not build buildings; build people and the building will come,” and “use money; love people…not love money; use people.” I saw his passion for winning souls, not gathering numbers. I learned that it is not about me and “my” ministry but it is about God and His glory. He pastors one of the largest churches in the Texas District, yet his humility keeps him from proclaiming it.

He taught me that learning how to flow in the Spirit is more important than sermonizing. The lessons learned at his feet are too numerous to tell.

Words cannot express my gratitude to these men for their investment in me. They would all say that I have blessed them more than they blessed me, yet I am the one who has been eternally blessed.

When someone asks for my credentials I want it to be said that “he is the one that poured water on the hands of great men of God.”

I would say to every young man, find a man of God and serve him. Your faithfulness will be rewarded in due season. Do not seek position but seek to serve. Be loyal, be faithful, be observant. Listen, and your life and ministry will be blessed.

To every minister of experience, I would say, find a hungry God called young man or woman and pour yourself into them. They want to be used of God. Your investment will bring eternal rewards.

I pray that your education will be as valuable as mine.

Video Blog