Tuesday, January 2, 2007

Choose... Lucky or Blessed

My lovely wife, Dawn, is from the coast of Mississippi. She is a southern girl from the old school. Therefore, on New Year's Day we always have cabbage and black-eyed peas incorporated into our meal.

For all of you new school folks, the cabbage is symbolic for money and the black-eyed peas are for good-luck. Eating these two glorious items on New Year's Day is supposed to bring about a financial wind fall and good luck for the whole year. This is a crazy superstition, of course.

As we sat down with our family yesterday, my son Simeon, who is not one to eat different things, began to dig into the cabbage. I looked at him in amazement. With a mischievous grin on his face he said, "I want to get a lot of money this year."

At that point, I explained that these were just fun traditions and that they had no power. Then I told him that we did not need superstition nor luck because we are blessed.

I am so thankful that we are blessed with the favor of God. I would rather be blessed with His favor than to have all the money in the world. With His favor there comes blessings that can not be measured. Love, joy, peace, contentment, reconciliation and hope.

I choose blessing! I choose favor!

Prov 16:15 In the light of the king's countenance is life; and his favour is as a cloud of the latter rain.

Prov 22:1 A good name is rather to be chosen than great riches, and loving favour rather than silver and gold.

Gen 22:17 That in blessing I will bless thee, and in multiplying I will multiply thy seed as the stars of the heaven, and as the sand which is upon the sea shore; and thy seed shall possess the gate of his enemies;




May your new year be filled with the blessings and favor of God!

Video Blog