Friday, February 2, 2007

Rediscovering The Lost Art of Loyalty

loy‧al‧ty - noun, plural -ties.

1.the state or quality of being loyal; faithfulness to commitments or obligations.
2.faithful adherence to a sovereign, government, leader, cause, etc.
3.an example or instance of faithfulness, adherence, or the like: a man with fierce loyalties.

Prov 11:13 A talebearer revealeth secrets: but he that is of a faithful spirit concealeth the matter.

Prov 27:6 Faithful are the wounds of a friend...

Our culture has become a "dog eat dog" race for supremacy. Loyalty to ones country; to ones friends; to ones principles seem to have little value in our world today.

However, in reality, LOYALTY, and the trust that follows hand in hand with it, are some of the most valuable resources a person can possess.

Jonathan, Saul's son, should have been king. He was in line for the throne of Israel. Most men would have possessed it at all cost. They would not have let anyone get in their way. Yet, when the Lord removes the throne from the lineage of Saul, Jonathan accepts it and stays loyal to the freshly anointed David.

David understood the value of that loyalty. He repaid Jonathan's faithfulness by giving Mephibosheth, Jonathan's son, a place at his table for life.

To we who are in leadership, loyalty, is invaluable. We need to surround ourselves with those who we can trust and who will trust us. Loyalty should follow both ways. I have told the people that work closest to me that I will always have there best interest at heart. If someone comes to me to complain about something they have done or have not done, I will listen but no one in my congregation will ever hear me speak ill of them. They have my loyalty and in return I receive theirs.

We must install the principle of loyalty into our lives. We must be loyal to God, our church, our family, our principles, and our friends.

I hope that it would be said of me..."Kevin was a loyal friend"..."You can count on him"..."His word is his bond."

Let us keep confidences; let us believe the best; let us stand by our principles; let us be faithful men; loyal to the last…

Let us rediscover the lost art of loyalty...

Video Blog